A firm favourite with my clients this delicious bread is a low carb, low sugar alternative which leaves you feeling satisfied. It is also great for freezing and toasting and the flax seeds and psyllium powder provide fibre for digestive health. Take care that your mixture is really well mixed and not too dry. My first loaf crumbled when I sliced it and although the crumbles were delicious the second loaf was better as the mixture was moist before baking.
Ingredients to make 1 loaf:
1 cup / 135g sunflower seeds
½ cup / 90g flax seeds
½ cup / 65g flaked almonds
1 ½ cups / 145g rolled oats / optional gluten free oats
2 Tbsp. chia seeds / 2 tbs flax seeds
3 Tbsp. psyllium husk powder
1 to 1 ½ tsp. fine grain sea salt / Himalayan salt / herb salt
1 Tbsp. agave syrup
3 Tbsp. melted coconut oil or ghee / butter
1 ½ cups / 350ml water
1. In a flexible, silicon loaf pan combine all dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly.
2. Mix agave syrup, oil and water together in a measuring cup and add to the dry ingredients.
3. Stir thoroughly with a wooden spoon until everything is completely soaked and dough becomes very thick. If the dough is too thick to stir, add one or two teaspoons of water until the dough is manageable.
4. Smooth out the top with the back of a spoon, cover with a clean tea towel, and leave out on the counter overnight.
5. After soaking overnight, the dough should retain its shape even when you pull the sides of the loaf pan away from it.
6. Preheat oven to 350°F / 175°C.
7. Place loaf pan in the oven on the middle rack, and bake for 20 – 30 minutes. Remove bread from loaf pan, place it upside down directly on the rack and bake for another 30-40 minutes.
8. Bread is done when it sounds hollow when tapped.
9. Let the loaf cool completely before slicing. This is very important because it will crumble if sliced when still warm.
Store bread in a tightly sealed container for up to five days.
Most health food shops stock psyllium powder.
Use a small silicon loaf tin as the bread won’t rise and stays the shape that you mould it into.
If you don’t have a loaf tin try shaping with your hands and bake on a baking tray for first 20 – 30 min then turn over onto wire rack.